What is Part P?

On January 1st 2005 legislation came into effect which brought electrical work in dwellings under the Building Regulations. This amendment to the Building Regulations, known as “Part P”, imposes safety requirements, and also classifies electrical installation work into two basic categories, notifiable and non-notifiable.

DIY electrical work has not been banned - it has merely been regulated.

Minor work such as replacing switches or adding sockets to an existing circuit is generally not notifiable (though it still has to be done safely)

However, major work (such as replacing a consumer unit) and ANY work carried out in high risk areas, including kitchens, bathrooms and gardens, is notifiable. This means that the local building control office must be notified in advance of the work being carried out. They will then inspect the work and certify it as compliant (this will incur a fee, which varies depending on the council).

An alternative is to use someone who is registered with one of the competent persons scheme. In this case, they will complete the work and deal with the notification requirements.

If the work is carried out by any other person, whatever their qualifications, the work must be notified in advance to building control.

Breaching this requirement is a criminal offence.

Further information is available on the NICEIC website

Dartlec is registered as a competent person with the NICEIC and therefore any work I carry out will be notified where necessary (This is included in my quote for any job)


Niceic logo

For all your domestic electrical needs.....
Call Dartlec on 01322 476121